Sunday, February 9, 2014

Chana Masala

As I'm pregnant, I want to make healthy choices with food. Less of sugar and more of veggies.
And as I'm going to be eating a lot anyway, why not make it all healthy? Plus, developing likes to healthy food now might make it easier for me during the last few months(I am a big biryani fan. I love, love, loooove all kinds of biryanis). Not that we can predict anything with pregnancy :) .. This is my second baby and I'm all happy and excited! My last went into a c-section coz baby was weighty. So this time I want to try keeping a check on it...

I've opted out of our usual rice for lunch and dinner and turned to chappatis and brown bread.
To go with it I made some chana masala.


This is just me putting all the spices and ingredients I like. It might not be the authentic chana masala recipe :)
But it was yummy enough so I give u a 'go-ahead' to try my recipe without fear of having to throw it in the trash :P

What all you'll need:
  • 1.5 cups chickpeas (soaked over night in water, then pressure cooked with a little turmeric and salt)
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 1 medium sized tomato, finely chopped
  • 1/2 tsp chilli powder
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 tbsp chana masala powder(I use Shan chana masala)
  • 2 green chillies 
  • a handful coriander leaves, chopped
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice (I like to add a lot more)
  • Salt to taste
How to make:
  • Heat oil in a frying pan. Add the chopped onions. Stir and cook until it start turning slightly brown
  • Add tomatoes and green chillies. Stir and add in chilli powder, turmeric powder, chana masala powder and salt.
  • Let it cook for at least 2-3 minutes and then add in the cooked chick peas. Mix and lower flame and let it simmer for another 5 minutes. 
  • Add water if needed, dont let it burn. Switch off flame when u get thick gravy. 
  • Add lemon juice and garnish with coriander leaves.
  • Enjoy! :)  

It's a great snack to have with tea. I had it with chappati & low fat yogurt for dinner.

5 comments:

  1. OMG This is soooooo yummy! One of my fav foods!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this Chana masala looks so awesome...my family loves it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for ur comments :)
      and thanks for stopping by too :)

      Delete