Monday, March 10, 2014

Ghee Rice - Neychor

My son loves ghee rice, biryani, fried rice, mandi rice, kabsa and all rice items other than the everyday sada rice. He woke up today morning asking me to make ghee rice. Making ghee rice is pretty simple and I made this for him right now. The name might be Ghee rice, but I use only sunflower oil. I dont like the ghee taste.


Ingredients:

  • 2 cups basmati rice, washed and drained (The proportion of rice and water for ghee rice is 1:2. For each cup of rice u add 2 cups of water)
  • 1 large onion, sliced thinly
  • 3 cloves, 3 cardamons, 3 small pieces of cinnamon sticks
  • 1 tbsp raisins(I didnt put it in what I made right now. Just made it as fast as possible for Ayaan. He was being a bit short-tempered with me :P
  • A handful cashew nuts (I didnt use this either)
  • 5-6 tbsp of sunflower oil (or ghee if that's what u want)
  • 4 cups water
  • Salt to taste

How to make:
  • Take a big saucepan add the oil and let it heat up. Add the cloves, cardamon and cinnamon and let it roast a minute then add the sliced onions.
  • Saute until they are about to turn brown. The onions should be cooked but should not turn brown. If they turn brown the whole ghee rice will get a brown colour.
  • Add the 4 cups of water. Add salt. 
  • When water starts to boil add the 2 cups rice. I usually boil water in my electric kettle and use 4 cups from it. It's quicker than waiting for the water to boil.
  • Check salt. Put flame on simmer. Cover the saucepan with lid and let the rice cook. It will take some 10-15 minutes. Do check. Don't let it overcook and become a paste.
  • Roast the cashew nuts and raisins in a tbsp of oil and garnish before serving. 



When I make  ghee rice for the whole family, I'll take pics of the garnished one with raisins and cashews. Right now its the demand of a 3 year old I'm trying to satisfy ASAP :D

Happy cooking!
Enjoy! :)

4 comments:

  1. Seems easy to make. I never made Ghee Rice. I've only tried Fried Rice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is evn simpler... only onions to chop...

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks dear... Nice of u to come out and check my cooking blog :)

      Delete