Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Drumstick flower Thoran

I have never been a big fan of drumstick. Everyone keeps telling me how good they are and that we must try to include it in our diet. I do try but I feel no matter how I cook it, it tastes raw. But its leaves. I love them! I love them in curries and also upperi's with coconut. It was a surprise when I first came to know its flowers could be consumed too. I have never had a flower before :)

Here are some health benefits of the drumstick plant...


I have only ever used the flower to make upperi...

What all you'll need:

  • Drumstick flowers 2 and half cups
  • Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
  • 5-6 small onions
  • 2 green chillys
  • 3/4 cups grated coconut 
  • Mustard seeds 1 tsp
  • Curry leaves
  • Salt to taste
  • Oil (I used coconut)


How to make:

  • Soak the flowers in salt water for some 10-15 minutes and then wash it clean.
  • Grind the small onions, green chillies and coconut.
  • Heat oil in a pan add the mustard seeds. when its done spluttering add in the curry leaves. Wait for a few seconds and then add the ground mix of coconut, green chilly and onion. 
  • Let that cook for a minute or 2 and then add in the flowers, salt and turmeric. Cook until done. 


It tasted like mushroom and also a bit like cabbage to me. If you havent ever tried it then its worth a go with all its health benefits, it can only do your body good :)


2 comments:

  1. Hiring packers and movers in Gurgaon is not too hard if you take help of the best moving professionals. Best movers and packers Gurgaon assist with their skilled and trained team to pack, load, unload and unpack your belongings.
    So be aware and hire the best mover packer to save your valuables.
    packers and movers Gurgaon
    packers and movers Gurgaon Charges

    ReplyDelete